Saturday, July 8, 2017

Student Engagement


One way to keep my students engaged is through academic support. My students will have more than a teacher; they will have a cheerleader, a mentor and a net to catch them when they fall. This will help them become confident in asking for help whenever they need it. I will give them everything they need in order to succeed now and in the future. I will know them personally so that I know their preferred learning methods, their strengths and weaknesses and everything in between.

Another way to keep my students engaged and motivated is through pocket cards. When students see me put their name card in the yellow pocket, they will know to straighten up. When it is in the red pocket there will be a discussion between the student and I in order to reset the attitude of the day and get their name card back in green. Until it goes to red, this method is interruption free and does not need explaining past the first day.

Thirdly, I will keep them engaged through decoration and display. Before the school year starts I will think about color psychology, posters and diversity, which will help students gain interest in my classroom from their very first step into it. Colors can affect our mood and I will use color psychology in order to help set the right learning mood and attitude each day. The right kind of posters can be an encouragement to students because of the diversity that they display. They can also be a helpful way to learn material. When students are happy walking into a classroom, they will be more engaged, thus, be better learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Student Engagement

One way to keep my students engaged is through academic support. My students will have more than a teacher; they will have a cheerleader, a ...