Friday, July 7, 2017

Welcome!!

Welcome to Mrs. Coldwell's classroom! Your third grader will be very caring, generous and kind-hearted by the end of this year! In the classroom, aside from instruction, my goal is to teach your child more about diversity, respecting each other and caring for one another. This blog post will have everything that you need to know for the school year. I will expand on other posts if you need more information on anything.

My classroom is a very engaging, supportive and helpful environment.

What I need from you, the parent/guardian:

  • Support
    • I need you to support your student and their teacher. We all need to work together as a team. We all have their best interests in mind. They need your encouragement and support because what we are doing now, affects their future. 
    • I also need you to reinforce the classroom rules at home. If we work together as a team and we are consistent, the rules will become second nature to them.
  • Communication
    • If they are struggling, PLEASE talk to me and we will get a game plan together to help them. I do my best to recognize when students are struggling but I don't see the struggles they are having while doing their homework. Call me, email me or come talk to me in person- we are their coaches and their cheerleaders! 
    • I will do my best to be in contact with you each month through some form of communication (Newsletter or phone call). Please do not wait for me to contact you, if you have a question or concern. If I have a concern, I will be immediately contacting you to get a game plan together, as a team.
    • ~My contact information is at the bottom of this page~

What I need from you, the student:
  • Open minds
    • A new school year can be intimidating but we will conquer it together. We are going to have so much fun this year! I want you to be open to trying new things, getting your hands dirty and being active.
  • Caring hearts
    • When we fall, we get back up with the help from others. This year you will be learning a lot about helping and respecting others. If you promise me that you will try, I promise you that it will pay off!
Classroom Expectations
Listening Bodies- When you are listening you will be sitting still, with your eyes on the speaker.
Raised Hands- Raising your hand is best!
Quiet Mouths- When your mouth is quiet, you can hear the instructions.
Walking Feet- Walk instead of run!
Caring Hearts- Use kind words!
When entering my classroom they need to put their backpacks away, sharpen their pencils, get their books ready and begin working on the Board Work. Board Work might be vocabulary words, a rhyme, mad libs or an action.
It is expected that they use the restroom before class. Each student will receive a laminated coin at the beginning of the month. If they need to use the restroom during class they can “buy” a trip to the restroom. If they still have their coin(s) at the end of the semester they can “buy” a reward from the reward chart. 
Student Engagement

Reward Chart
Together, my students and I will come up with free, fun things to put on the reward chart. Such activities are extra credit, help the teacher, choose your spot in line, dance party, lunch with teacher, free draw time, etc. 

Digital Citizenship
Computers, phones and internet are a privilege. If they are used for bullying, harassment or anything else that is not productive for the learning environment they will be taken away for the entire school year. This is non-negotiable. If they are abused your child will use paper and pencil along with encyclopedias and dictionaries for school work.

Homework
If your student comes home with homework, it will be after learning the content for about a week, if times allows. They will not learn a new unit on Monday and have homework that night covering that unit. When they have homework it will be for practicing the material (Practice Makes Perfect!) not learning it. With that being said, homework should not exceed an hour on any given day. Occasionally there will be an exception to that for projects but not typical homework.

Students will have vocabulary words each week. In class they will make flashcards to carry with them to study when they have down time. Please check their pockets before doing laundry!
There will be a homework project due on Thursday, November 1, 2018. I will present the project assignment to them on Monday October 22, 2018. Be on the lookout in their agenda!

Grades
I will be sending grades home in the middle of the semester and in the end. If you want to know your students grades in between those times, please give me notice and allow me a couple days to make sure grades are up to date and get back with you.
90-100%=A
80-89%  =B
70-79%  =C
60-69%  =D
50-59%  =F

Late work
Students will be allowed to turn in homework one day late for 20% reduction on their grade. Assignments will not be accepted past one day after the due date. I will be in my classroom until 4:30 every day.

Extra Credit
The only extra credit that will be accepted will be from the Reward Chart, if the students choose to put it on there.

Attendance
Your child's presence in school is a strong indicator of his/her future success. We encourage regular attendance and look forward to a successful school year with your child. We will follow the district rules for being late or absent from school.
If a child is marked absent, a phone call will be made to the parent/guardian.
If a child has 3 or more unexcused absences in a 4 week period, a warning notice will be issued along with a conference between administration, the parent/guardian, the student and myself.

Contact Information
Please allow me 24 hours to respond to you during the week and 48 hours on the weekend.
School= XXX-XXX-XXX
Cell phone= XXX-XXX-XXX
Office hours= Monday-Friday 7:30-4:30
email= X@school.com
If students would like to come in for additional help, questions or a quiet place to work on homework they are welcome to do so until 4:30, unless I have a meeting or another obligation. If they are in my classroom after school I will contact you to let you know what time they came and left.

A helpful hint is to look for the labels at the bottom of this page (Homework, Rewards, Rules, etc). If you click on a label, it will show you all the posts that have that label. For example, if you click on Homework, it will show you all blogs that have to do with homework. This post will have all the labels. The rest of the posts will have the labels that correspond with the contents of the posts. Please let me know if you need more explanation.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Student Engagement

One way to keep my students engaged is through academic support. My students will have more than a teacher; they will have a cheerleader, a ...